Tags

, , ,


Kraig Becker.

There hasn’t been much in the way of updates from Pakistan the past few days. We can only assume that work is progressing as needed on K2 and Gasherbrum I, where teams are hoping to make the first winter ascent of those giants of the Karakoram. We did receive word from Simone Moro and Denis Urubko yesterday however, and things are progressing nicely for them on Nanga Parbat.

Nanga Parbat 2011_2012: Simone and Urubko Acclimatize at Camp

After spending a few days resting in Base Camp, Simone and Denis started up the mountain a few days back amidst high winds and blowing snow. But now, the weather has taken a turn for the better and they have continued to go higher to take advantage of the window that has come their way. Yesterday, the two men climbed to Camp 3 at 6600 meters (21,653 ft), where they spent the night as part of their regular acclimatization process. They also noted that if the weather held today they hoped to climb up to 7100 meters (23,293 ft), or higher, before proceeding back to BC to rest. If they hit that mark, they’ll pretty much have completed the acclimatization phase and they may start to look for a weather window that will allow them to go to the summit.

If the men are feeling strong and rested, and the weather affords them the opportunity, they could conceivably start the summit push sometime next week. That seems ambitious, but possible at this point and it will all come down to how strong they feel after completing this rotation. They may decide to do one more acclimatization round first, but as we all know, winter weather windows in the Karakoram are few and far between, so as usual, the weather will likely dictate what happens.

Stay tuned. I’m sure we’ll get further updates from K2 and GI next week.

* Source : – http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/